Saturday 8 October 2011

Adding and Subtracting

On the soundtrack today

Michael Buble 'Hold On' http://youtu.be/ICDTVunkf6I

Quote for today

'If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough' ~ Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
                                                                                           Nobel Peace Prize Winner 2011
via @PadmaTenzin RT by @thezenblog on Twitter

 Featured Article, Website or Blog today

http://rubybarnes.blogspot.com/
I loved his review of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichi's book  Half of a Yellow Sun so much, I ordered the book straightaway!

Recipe for today 

Fig and Goat's cheese salad (at the bottom of this blog)

SMALL FREEDOMS 3rd edit.

A lot got subtracted, but there was also a fair amount of adding, in order to make things clearer, to read better!
I removed a poem I had placed at the end of an overly long 1st chapter, where the main character, Georgie is murdered. (I also deleted the bulk of that chapter)
The poem is full of alliteration, which I LOVE, and if you read the first letter of each line, it will read GEORGIE IS DEAD.
I though it was quite clever when I wrote it, but I think it falls into the category of 'indulgence'.
My son's terminolgy after he read the first chapter before the edits! Lets hope he approves of the diligent pruning!
Anyway, here's the deleted poem!

Going, going, gone to that place of voiceless voices, and
Endless nights of soundless sounds, now that life’s
Overdraft is overdrawn and there are no
Raging reasons, no rebelling rebuttals, just a
Gargantuan gambit, garnering all those
Impious instincts in a once timeless time
Ending in endless eternity.
Is there to be
Somewhere for all her eternities on that
Downward spiralling spiral where
Everyone is welcome
As long as they are
Dead?

I can't put that in my hat and eat it, but I can and did eat the Fig and Goat's Cheese salad TWICE this week!
Love it, love it, love it!

Ingredients
2 fresh, ripe figs per person.
Goat's cheese (or a good Feta will also do)
Salad leaves ( I like rocket. Arugala in the US)
Roasted red/yellow peppers (from a jar is fine)
Salad dressing of your choice.
Method
Cut each fig into 4. Lay them onto a small mound of salad leaves, tuck a few pieces of the roasted peppers around the plate, put as much goat's cheese (or Feta) on there as well and sprinkle the amount of salad dressing that tickles your taste buds.
I prefer a more lemony tasting dressing.

Enjoy this easy to assemble dish. Great for a starter. Great at ANYTIME for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment