Saturday 22 October 2011

Tag Along

On the soundtrack today 

At This Moment, by Michael Buble. This is not a 'happy' song, but the melody and tune are so beautiful, and Mr Buble does a pretty wonderful job on this track.
http://youtu.be/RImRB3C_hTo

Quote for today

Close the door. Write with no one looking over your shoulder. Don't try to figure out what other people want to hear from you; figure out what you have to say. It's the one and only thing you have to offer.                                                        ~ BARBARA KINGSOLVER

Featured Article, Website or Blog

http://www.rachellegardner.com/2011/10/author-marketing-platform/

The article in question has had me hot and bothered for a few days. It's all about what is expected from an author, before an agent takes you on. This is of course, after you have written your blockbuster, and after you have been checked out for suitability.  i.e. you look good and are suitable for promotion.
Don't forget, agents sell you first! I kid you not. And, if indeed you have written a good book, that is a bonus!
My thoughts, my opinions. Based on what I have learnt.
Not at all surprised that so many authors are now self publishing.
What I want to know, is what do Agents do to really earn their money?

Recipe for today

Spaghetti/linguine with smoked salmon.

This is a very quick, very easy take on this popular dish. With of course, my little additions! Recipe at the bottom of this blog.

The 4th book I'm going to write! (Oh yes I am!)

This is quite funny. Last week I gave the overview of the 3rd book I plan to write, based on a script I have already written. Today, I'm going to tell you about the 4th book. But... I seem to have overlooked the 2nd book, now sitting  quite comfortably at 56,321 words!
I can count, and I haven't forgotten, I promise you. It's just that I haven't written a short synopsis as yet!
All of you who have done this, will know how hard it is. It has to be done, so I will endeavour to have it finished by next week and incude it in next week's blog.

Anyway, here's an overview of book #3. Political Science. I happen to love this script. Once again, this is based on an original idea by yours truely!

BTW, All my work, treatments, synopses, film scripts and novels are registered with the WGA. It is quick and easy to do online, and  very reasonably priced. Everyone should protect their work in a similar way. I'm sure you all do!


POLITICAL SCIENCE is the story of Afro American biochemist SAM BOWLOCK, ex member of the covert American organization The Agency. SAM inadvertently opens a Pandora's Box when reseraching into Progeria, he stumbles on a formula that can destroy people of any age, provided they have African blood in them. The formula is so robust, it only has to be added to a water supply to take its terrible effect.

GEORGE ST-JOHN SMYTHE, SAM'S girlfriend's father, is more than a little interested in SAM'S discovery. He is one of the founder members of an extremely secretive right wing group of international multi millionaires, The Ministry. Their sole aim is to annihilate people who they consider non white, whom they blame for all the problems besetting the world. 

GEORGE has the formula stolen, has it put into targeted water supplies world wide, and sits back with the originator of The Ministry, Russian oligarch DENIL BORKOWSKI to watch their dreams of an untainted world come true. The world they don't want, is dying. But soon the world The Ministry had hoped would come out on top, is dying too. The virus, now called Internal Ageing Syndrome (IAS), because there are few external signs of ageing. Sufferers only show quick degenration of internal organs seen at Post Mortem. Everyone is dying because IAS has no genetic boundaries.

The Agency want SAM back, and The Ministry want SAM dead. The cat and mouse game begins, with the world at stake.

GEORGE'S dreams turn into the worst type of nightmares when his daughter and mother die from IAS. It is Armageddon time.

With the help of The Agency, in a secret underground laboratory, SAM works against the clock to find a counter active serum. Outside, the population of the world is decreasing at an alarming rate.

SAM develops an anti serum, and makes his precarious home run for Downing Street.

This is the WHY of intended World domination, not just a little story about somebody's greed. This is a story with a moral. Take heed, because it could happen!

Winston Churchill famously said 'In the course of my life, I have often had to eat my words, and I must confess that I have always found it a wholesome diet.' I don't think that I could survive on a diet of my own words, but I certainly could (and do) on my own cooking! So, let's cook!

Spaghetti/linguini with smoked salmon (for 2)

Ingredients
8 ozs (225gs) spaghetti/linguini
4 ozs smoked salmon
1 medium onion (grated)
1 cloved garlic finely chopped
1/4 cup double cream/créme fraîche
1 desertspoon tomatoe paste/puree
1 oz butter
Hand full of fresh dill, chopped
Lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
Cook the pasta according to the instructions, and according to how al dente you'd like it to be.
Gently fry the grated onion in the butter until it is translucent. Don't let it brown! This will totally change the flavour.
Add the garlic, then the tomatoe paste or puree. Cook this gently for a minute or so, Then add the cream or créme fraîche, stir to incorporate onions and puree, add the chopped dill and a squeeze of lemon.
At the very last minute, add the smoked salmon. Season to taste, but remember the smoked salmon is quite salty.
I always tuck a few extra pieces of smoked salmon in amongst the pasta before pouring over the sauce.
Serve at once. 
This is because the smoked salmon will cook in the hot sauce and hot pasta. It will still taste nice, but the smoked salmon will 'swell' and look/taste more like regular salmon!

I like the addition of the tomatoe paste to this dish. Gives it a sharp taste that I find missing in the dish that is made the conventional way. I also prefer liguini in this dish to spaghetti, but that's just a personal thing! You can also add more or less of anything you fancy to this receipe. You are cooking for you, so get the food to suit your taste buds!

This is a very quick and easy recipe, and very cheap if you buy packets of smoked salmon trimmings. They are readily available here in London in all the supermarkets. Don't know about in the USA. I'm sure they must sell them there as well!

Thank you for reading all this. See you next time.















No comments:

Post a Comment